Bread & Butter Pickled Jalapenos

by - 2:15 PM

The name might confuse you as neither butter nor bread is needed, but don't let this stop you from trying it. Oh my GOSH is this recipe amazing! My neighbor gave me a jar for tasting, and my family devoured the whole jar in one sitting. I kid you not!

If you've ever had bread & butter pickles, then you know they are sweet. Add in jalapenos instead of pickled cucumbers and you have a delicious topper for a Ritz cracker and sharp cheddar cheese.

Don't let the jalapenos scare you. They're not hot at all in this concoction. There's just a mild amount of heat if any, I promise. Believe me, I was concerned as well, but I was quickly 

Ingredients: (this recipe is for 1 quart jar or 4 half-pint jars)

  • 12-16 jalapenos (washed & sliced)
  • 1 tsp minced onions
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup & 2 tsp white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup & 1 Tbsp & 2 tsp sugar
  • 3/4 tsp ground mustard
  • 1/8 tsp celery seed
  • 1/8 tsp whole cloves
  • 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
Fill clean jar(s) with sliced jalapenos and the tsp of minced onions divided evenly.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved.

Remove from heat and divide the liquid evenly amongst the four jars as you pour. Fill the jars the rest of the way with water, leaving half-inch headspace.

Heat canning lids in hot water (not quite at a boil) for several minutes to soften the gasket. Place lids and rings on the jars, and tighten down just to a finger tighten.

Water bath can for a 10-minute boil. Remove from water and allow to cool overnight.

You May Also Like

4 comments


Copyright © 2008-2023. Renee Vincent. All Rights Reserved