Strawberry Jalapeno Jelly

by - 1:26 PM

This year has been my year of canning. I've become a canning fool, so to speak. I've canned beans, tomatoes, bread & butter pickled jalapenos, dill pickles, and now I've tried my hand at jellies. And not just the plain Jane grape jelly, but a sweet & spicy jelly that is sure to add some zing to your next cheese tray.

I found this recipe online and everywhere I looked, the reviews were raving in spite of the odd combination of strawberries and jalapenos! Most suggested it was best over crackers and cream cheese, but some mentioned it was great to drizzle on grilled meats or spoon over vanilla ice cream.

I can confirm that I've tasted it on crackers and cream cheese, and it is just as good as they say! I'm looking forward to adding it to my meats and ice cream next.

Let me know what you think if you decide to make this recipe. I'd love to hear what your taste buds thought. (My youngest said her taste buds were confused, but crazily the combination was still delicious.) 

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups mashed strawberries
  • 1 cup minced jalapenos
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 package of liquid fruit pectin (I believe it's a 3 oz package)
  • 7 cups sugar
In a large saucepan, bring the prepared strawberries, jalapenos, lemon juice, and pectin to a full boil. Stir in sugar until completely dissolved. Return to a boil and cook for 1 minute.

Ladle hot jam into clean jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Run a knife around the inside of the jars to remove possible air bubbles. Wipe the rims with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with sanitized lids and rings.

Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring water to a boil and carefully lower jars inside. Make sure that the water is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Add more water if necessary.

Bring to a boil, cover the pot, and water bath can for 10 minutes.

Carefully remove the jars from the stockpot and place them on a cloth-covered or wooden surface. Allow to cool overnight.

Once cool, make certain that the seal is tight (by pressing on the lid in the center. If the lid depresses and pops back up, it's not sealed.) Store in a cool, dark place.

Yields: 8-10 half-pint jars

You May Also Like

0 comments


Copyright © 2008-2023. Renee Vincent. All Rights Reserved